Indulge Me
Quote of the week -- "in·dulge: a: to give free rein to b: to take unrestrained pleasure in" ~ Merriam Webster Online

This is the definition of indulge in the Merriam Webster online dictionary. I feel I have to confess to you, readers, that I have taken unrestrained pleasure in the acts of eating and drinking in the last 48 hours. (Forgive me if you can. It’s been 24 years since my last confession.)

Tonight I am trying to atone. I made my own dinner and had one, and only one, beer with dinner. Since you asked, I steamed up some broccoli rabe and sauteed it with onions, cumin, garlic and the aforementioned Field Roast chipotle grain sausage. I constructed tacos with this stir fry and added jack cheese, sour cream, salsa, and red onion. Now I have half a brain in food coma and the other half on the keyboard. Please excuse any typos. If you decide to try making these tasty tacos at home, toast some cumin in the pan before you add the oil and splash everything with a little soy sauce after you turn off the heat. Don’t forget the chips!

Despite my confessed indulgence, this past week was relatively quiet on the edible frontier until Friday. Happily my friend CM was in town from Portland. In the span of about 20 hours, we ate at two restaurants, drank at three bars and soothed our sweet teeth at two bakeries. Impressive, I know. I also went out on Saturday night continuing the largess until the wee hours of what was then technically Sunday.

Alas, no rest for the gastronomically weary! If my only priorities were eating and drinking, wouldn’t life be grand?! I had to venture out into the world, however, looking for inspiration to take photographs that will help me learn what the heck aperture priority and depth of field are all about. Oh how I miss my auto focus and zoom lens!

CM and I had not seen each other since high school, but we both have a passion for fabulous food and cocktails. I was super excited both to see her and to have an excuse to indulge.

We started our marathon by arriving at Freemans on the Lower East Side and placing our names on the wait list. The restaurant is hidden off Rivington Street at the end of Freeman Alley. The decor is rustic with deer antlers and sheep’s heads adorning the walls. It was designed in the style of a “colonial american tavern.” The cool host with shiny silver finger nails informed us the wait would be an hour, but to check back in in 30 minutes.

We wandered east on Rivington Street and came across a lovely wine bar and restaurant called Jadis. The Jadis web site notes that they opened in 2006 with “the notion of offering good food and wine in a cozy space. We hope you enjoy stepping back in time.” The space is cosy indeed with brick walls and warm lighting. Per CM’s suggestion we each tried a glass Cava, which to our surprise was a rose. It was dry and delicious and just enough to blush my cheeks against the chilly night wind.

Back at Freemans our wait was short. The cocktails alone were worth the anticipation. CM ordered the French 75 with gin, lemon juice, and champagne. At the suggestion of the hottie bartender, I ordered a Spring-Heeled Jack with Applejack, Yellow Chartreuse, and sweet vermouth. I am salivating a little just thinking about that drink.

CM informed me that Chartreuse is a French liqueur that is made with a secret blend of herbs developed by monks who lived in the Chartreuse mountains. There is both a yellow and a green variety. It’s earthy, herbal essences were pure delight.

For eats, we ordered and shared four dishes. Our starter was a salad with winter squash, dried cherries, spinach and frisee. The squash was a bit firmer than al dente which seemed odd, but the nutty taste and texture mixed well with the cherries. The dressing perfectly complimented the sweetness of the cherries.

Our main course was comprised of a three-cheese macaroni; crispy buckwheat chicken with lentils, spinach and pickled onions; and a side of roasted brussels sprouts. The macaroni was savory but not as rich I expected. I feel about macaroni and cheese the same way I feel about pizza. If I am going to indulge in all that white flour and cheese, I want it to taste so good it has to be bad for me. That said, I enjoyed the crispy topping and felt it wasn’t too heavy.

I often have a blah reaction to chicken, but Freemans' bird was moist with a crunchy flavorful buckwheat crust. The true star of the dish, however, was the lentils which were superb.

The brussels sprouts were perfectly roasted, which is really the only way to properly cook these tiny green cabbages. CM and I agreed on that point. Steaming makes them mushy. Have you ever had mushy brussels sprouts? Really disgusting. No mush here, just wonderful caramelized flavor.

With the good food, of course, was the good company. The conversation flowed freely. We not only talked about food, but also work, dating, relationships, family units, arts and crafts, dogs and cats, music and many topics in between. Our dining experience was never rushed, despite the crowds waiting, and our table neighbors were friendly and helpful, though CM had to try to explain what the term “gamey” meant in reference to pheasant. Try it some time. It’s not easy.

The conversation and good times continued with a revisit first to Baby Cakes for dessert and then to Nurse Bettie where CM had blueberry stoli and soda and I had some concoction of tequila, Kalhua, cream and cinnamon.

From there we wandered up into the East Village to Mama’s on Avenue B and 3rd Street. The bartendress was confused about which infused vodkas were which. Quite honestly I think they might just throw random ingredients into the bottle. The sweet onion infusion was definitely chile and the dill cucumber had some straight-up onion in it. CM and I ended the night at Tile bar with a Corona and a Brooklyn Lager.

We took just enough time to sleep it off and headed to Public around 11:00 the next morning for brunch. CM had asked me to introduce her to one my “top five most missed brunches if [I] had to move away.” Public is on Elizabeth Street between Prince and Spring, and their brunch is unbelievable.

I ordered the turkish eggs which come poached on top of a pillow of greek yogurt and swimming in kirmizi biber butter. CM ordered the “fry up” with two eggs, roasted tomatoes and button mushrooms. We split a side of chorizo.

That brunch, my friends, is the height of indulgence. You are probably still thinking kirmizi what? According to my brief web search it’s a type of Turkish Cayenne pepper. The subtle heat is smoothed over by the tangy coolness of the yogurt. The chorizo and the sourdough toast on the side round off a perfect mix of flavors and textured. The only turnoff was the 80’s top-forty music that seemed to be playing in every food and drink establishment we had visited. (What’s happening, New York!?)

We topped off our marathon with a stop at Balthazar Bakery for a treat whose name escapes my tired over-indulged brain. It’s a little mini cake, crunchy on the outside and moist and chewy on the inside, flavored with rum and vanilla. That should be enough to order one if you happen by.

Thank goodness I don’t really have to go to confession to absolve myself from these indulgent acts. I’m not really sorry, and I excommunicated myself in eighth grade.

Stay tuned and do a little indulging of your own! Oh, speaking of, I nearly forgot, but an article of mine on a different kind of indulgence was just published on in|ur magazine: word... the poetry of romance just got hotter.

Comments

  1. I, too, appreciated the earthy, herbal flavor of (green) Chartreuse one night until I ended up with the worst abdominal pain I've had in years. Something about it didn't quite agree with me.

    I tried to buy some Pappy this weekend, but apparently it's hard to come by these days. I did have an offer from a friend to bring a flask to his apartment so he could fill it with some Pappy. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment