Tomato Sunday!

Boy howdy I had a fantastic weekend! Why? Well, tomatoes, of course! And the company of several good friends in which to enjoy them. It was another brunch to remember...


I spent the week planning a menu. Like most Saturdays, yesterday began with WNYC, coffee and some random section of the New York Times. But, before Car Talk even started, I was peddling my way to the Greenmarket at Grand Army Plaza. The market is about 1.5 miles from my house directly, but I take the long way round the park and pretend it's enough exercise for the weekend.

Once there, I loaded up on produce from Maxwell's Farm, bought eggs at the Tello's, and renewed my turkey sausage supply from DiPaola. A little balancing and a few bungee cords and I made it home, eggs intact, tomatoes unbruised and basil perfectly fresh. And I was just in time for Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me!

I spent nearly all of the next 12 hours in my kitchen. It went something like this...

--Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me!: clean veggies, organize kitchen
--This American Life: melt sugar, puree tomatoes, juice lemons
--Sound of Young America: run out for cheddar, pick up sushi
--Radio Lab onward: make pie crust, chop, steam, saute, do laundry
--Prairie Home Companion: bake pie, test cocktails
--Danny Stiles: I don't recall, but I was still cooking

It was a lot of work, but I had a fabulous time! In fact, I may actually have achieved a previously elusive state of hostess zen. I did not even panic when the consomme I made following a recipe in Esquire for tomato martinis was a disaster. (Of course it was. I mean, Esquire? What was I thinking?)

There is one simple recipe that was the hit of the brunch. Tomato Lemonade (by Kat Kinsman). Even Mr. Craven who said he had a longstanding aversion to tomatoes enjoyed the brew. We spiked ours with rye because we are all lushes, but the liquor is optional.

Being of like minds, HA and I both made delicious tomato pies. And, Kukus made a comeback this week. They stuck in the pan, but in a moment of hostessing brilliance, HA suggested I serve them in my vintage champagne glasses and coffee cups. Thus you couldn't see the messy bottoms and they were fun to eat!

Another star was the Magic Vanilla Ice Cream (by Chris Kimball), which Mrs. O made. It's magic because you don't need an ice cream maker (or a couple of kids and a ball). It was rich and creamy and paired perfectly with the coconut pie that EB made and the almond tart the Craven's picked up at Lady Bird Bakery.


Here is the menu with links where the recipes are available online:

Drinks
Starters
  • Mexican Slowboats (Deviled Eggs by Didi Emmons, the recipe is in Vegetarian Planet)
  • Five-Spice peach chutney and blue cheese on water crackers (the chutney recipe is also by Didi Emmons from the same cookbook)
Mains
  • Portobella, bell pepper and zucchini Kukus
  • Two tomato pies--both delicious (one recipe by Chris Kimball, featured on an NPR story: Seasonal Dessert Recipes to Sweeten Your Summer, and one by HA.)
  • Seasonal vegetable salad with lime dressing (corn, red potatoes, green and yellow beens, heirloom tomatoes, shallot, fresh basil, one tbsp olive oil, two of lime juice, salt, pepper and a pinch of sumac)
Dessert
Until next time my friends. And thanks to everyone for coming today and bringing such great eats and drinks!

Comments