On the Wagon (Sort of)

Hell-O ladies and g's. Sunday morning, and your most reliable (if not your favorite, who I am to presume?) lush here reporting from her cute, but currently messy, bachelorette apartment in Astoria. The aroma of freshly cooked salty pig lingering in the living room from my tasty homemade brunch.

It could be like any other Sunday morning in the life of your indulgent urban gastronomer.

Except for one thing.

The week was almost dry.

Yes, dry, as in:

Main Entry: dry
Pronunciation: \ˈdrī\
Function: adjective
5 a : marked by the absence of alcoholic beverages

Your trusty lush is letting you down. I have had one, and only one, martini this week. No bourbon, wine, or beer... no rum, tequila, moonshine or gin.

Why on earth, you might ask, would an indulgent urban gastronomer limit herself so cruelly? Well, we can only hope it's temporary, but a recurrence of past health problems has made it necessary. And, as a friend said last week, pain can be very inspiring when it comes to discipline. Quite right!

So, what have I been doing with myself this week? Well, mostly working long hours and eating a late dinner with seltzer. I can't be trusted to go to parties in my current state. Last Sunday evening I fell off the wagon and into the wine vat at a super fun party in Brooklyn. I was sorry about that at 3:00 a.m. when the after-effects woke me up.

Oh, and I've seen two shows this week: a dress rehearsal of Enron on Broadway and a performance of Caligula Maximus at La Mama.

Enron is not only clever and fun to watch, it actually makes the Enron scandal understandable for folks like yours truly. The format is a brilliant balance of information/commentary and entertainment... the characters provide information about what's happening using witty metaphors, and then just as you think you can't process anymore, the company breaks into a fun number with cool lights!

Caligula is an entertaining hour or so of song, dance and naked revelry with some horror show scenes from the Roman emperor's life. The cast includes very talented singers, trapeze artists and acrobats (a few rumored to be from the Coney Island freak show). I quite enjoyed it, though like much experimental theatre, it could have been tighter in places.

I'm trying to think of this whole booze hiatus as spring cleaning. Necessary and tedious, but the results always make you feel better. And, since there don't seem to be ill effects from last night's martini, it may be a great time to explore infusing my own vodka. At the least, I can enjoy a weekly martini.

We can only hope that I am fully recovered by May 14 when the Manhattan Cocktail Classic kicks off four days of cocktail madness with what looks to be a fabulous gala at the New York Public Library.

That's all I have my friends. But before I leave you, Time Out New York is challenging New Yorkers to help raise $25,000 for the Food Bank for New York City. You can donate $1 (or more) by visiting this page: Time Out for Hunger. Please take a moment to add your buck to the pot.

And, I finally sorted through the pics from Puerto Rico. Click here to see photos from the trip: Puerto Rico.

Stay tuned!

Comments