Quote of the Week: "Long ago - 7th Century China: A quest by vegetarian Buddhist monks for vegetarian meat begins." ~ Field Roast, The Grain Meat Journey

Sake... with a Bulldog


A dreadful date, an inaugural celebration, a big fat post-carrot-cake sign from the Universe, tasty lentil soup, a cheerful reunion, sake with a bulldog, and a beautiful brunch--all in the span of one week.

A Dreadful Date
Yep, the first date following the Break-Up. I was nervous and reluctant. I knew from this e-beau’s profile we probably wouldn’t hit it off, but hey, it’s time to get back on the bike. I can’t just lie on the shoulder of the highway of love lamenting the fact that a taxi to no-where driven by a Lost Artist ran me off the road, can I? No! Of course not. I have to pretend the bruises don’t hurt, strap on my helmet and get back in the bike lane!

I met my date at Tile Bar, one of my favorite low-key grown-up cheap-drink bars. The official name of the place is apparently WCOU Radio, but no one calls it that. I had two Maker’s on the rocks, and my date had four pints of beer, during which time he:
  • bragged that he is so efficient at his Wall Street job he is able to spend his days at work reading newspapers and fiction books
  • displayed a shocking lack of knowledge that many people in this country are being affected by the current economic crisis
  • insisted that it’s not possible for a woman to choose not to have children based on lifestyle preferences; surely I will fall in love and want children, and I will make such a good mother
  • tried to take my hand repeatedly to complement my rings
  • attempted to touch my face and tuck a not-so-errant strand of hair behind my ear
At the corner where we parted, he then failed to recognize the great effort I put in to ensuring his lips hit my cheek for that standard New York good-bye peck. He then had the gall to ask if he could kiss me. I laughed a little and said, “We just met,” which is truly funny because if he had been attractive, it wouldn’t have mattered.

I texted V.: “I survived date, but found it depressing. I bought brie and am on my way home to eat it.” Yes, brie. Not chocolate ice cream or more alcohol, but brie and chianti-infused salami from Trader Joe’s.

The Inaugural Celebration
The swearing in of Barack Obama as the 44th President of the United States was a great reason for food and libation and lots of it. The day that seemed so far away on November 4 finally arrived!

V. had a raging inaugural to-do. As the fabulous vegetarian cook she is, she stirred up a tasty guacamole with a secret spice that makes the dish famous among friends. I’ll give you a few hints - used often in Mexican and Indian cuisine either as whole seed or crushed; toasting really brings out the flavor; it starts with a “c.”

The party spread also included quinoa and tofu lettuce wraps and pastry puff rolls with Field Roast vegan sausage (shhh... don’t tell the meat eaters). Even staunch carnivores have been known to like Field Roast products. I particularly enjoy the Smoked Apple Sage Sausage and the Celebration Roast.

As the party went on, my wine glass was magically refilled so many times I lost count. Then our friend and comrade in travel, L. opened the champagne, and the true rowdy celebrating began. I told L. and other friends about Monday’s bad date and the whole night became very funny. Following L.’s suggestion I watched High Fidelity this weekend. Every single man on this planet should watch that movie.

The Big Fat Post-Carrot-Cake Sign from the Universe
I was on 14th Street Wednesday evening when I suddenly found myself staring at a large sign with big letters that read: “You will get over this too.” Except, it wasn’t an actual sign; it was an ex-boyfriend. It was, in fact, the Ex for whom I once baked an ill-fated heart-shaped carrot cake. I was so in love I actually made home-made frosting! (See Carrot Cake in the DG archives).

There he was. The other ex-boyfriend who gave me a parting gift when we broke-up (silver bracelet from Mexico). He is married and happy, and I am happy for him. I am also relieved that we never stayed together. He is only now pursuing the goals he spoke of when we met. So, this too shall pass, and some day I’ll run into LA and be unequivocally over him as well.

Cheerful Reunion and Sake with a Bulldog
Sometimes there is nothing more warming on a cold winter night than a reunion and a well-made Manhattan. I met my close friend LB and a scene design professor from the college we both attended in Illinois who was accompanied by his daughter at Vintage on 9th Avenue and 51st Street. Good people with good souls.

I learned a lot studying with the Professor and always enjoyed his classes. To this day, I look at a leaf and realize it’s not just green; the color has a base, highlight and shadow. Learning to see those elements continues to help form my photographic vision.

The stories from college brought me back to the days when my wardrobe was almost exclusively comprised of paint-flecked jeans, boxy t-shirts, plaid flannels and a pair of Doc Martin 8-hole boots.

Like my fashion sensibility, my culinary style has changed immensely since then. During those late college nights cranking out projects, I was fueled by Doritos, Little Debbie snack cakes of all varieties and large fountain cokes from the gas station across the street from the theater building.

LB’s wife EB met up with us just as we said goodbye to the Professor and his daughter. From there we grabbed a cab downtown to see LB’s guitar teacher and band play at National Underground. We stopped at Famous Original Ray’s Pizza because we were in a time crunch and had limited options. As a girl from the Chicago area, I just can’t appreciate New York pizza--at least not at Ray’s.

National Underground was fun, but their downstairs sound system is pretty awful. Upstairs, we caught a few songs by a band with a long name and watched one of the outside bouncers chow down a very large t-bone steak through the front window.

From there, we wandered down to Chibi’s Bar, which is next to The Kitchen Club on Prince and Mott Streets. Both are owned by a woman named Marja who has a fabulous French bull dog named Chibi (visit their web site for photos). We sipped sake, munched on Japanese crackers and socialized with Chibi. The walls are a striking aqua, the sake selection is impressive and the bartender was very accommodating. I’ve added The Kitchen Club to the list of places I want to eat in NYC.

Speaking of, for any of you fellow New-Yorkers, Restaurant Week is still on. You can enjoy a three-course pre-fixe meals at many of the City’s finest for reduced prices. Dinner is $35 per person and lunch is $24.07 (go figure).

Lastly, readers mission brunch reclamation is moving forward! Following yoga class this morning, V. and I had tasty eats at Elephant and Castle on Greenwich Avenue. I ordered the Canyonland poached eggs with balsamic jus, fresh tarragon, tomatoes, avocado and wild mushrooms and a toasted English muffin. It was beautiful and delicious, and we just beat the crowd.

Stay tuned! More whacky on the way for next week!

Comments

  1. I love your writing. Thanks for mentioning FRoast. Seriously makes me want to live in New York and be single...having nothing to do with the over done "Sex in the City" mentality. Your observations of your date are, to say the least, inspiring!
    Peace.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer! Field Roast is good stuff and deserves kudos! Hopefully my next date will be less less dreadful, but who can tell!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment