Cocktail Extravaganza!

Well, ladies and g's, I am not hungover, but I am in a state of recovery. I'm sleepy even though I woke up at 11:48 a.m. Two cups of strong coffee from brunch are the only reason I am not currently napping.

Picture it, if you will... sixteen guests and one urban gastronomer with a cocktail shaker and a bar stocked with carefully researched liqueurs and liquors. It was not just a cocktail party, it was an extravaganza. And, it was so much fun I'm tempted to quit my job and spend my savings throwing cocktail parties. Wouldn't that be the life!?

But alas, tomorrow morning I will go to work to earn more money to not only keep my savings but also host more parties. First, I will go to the pool, which I have recently joined, to balance the indulgence.

Last night, over a period of six hours, we consumed one bottle of Belvedere Vodka, half a bottle of Ketel One Vodka, three quarters of a bottle of Van Gogh Double Espresso Vodka, more than half a bottle of Canton, one third of a bottle of St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, an unknown amount of Hendrick's Gin and a few pours of Sazerac Rye and Talisker Scotch.

While we sipped, we ate a fabulous array of delicious foods, most of which were contributions from guests, including tostones (fried plantains) with dipping sauces, sweet and spicy mixed nuts with pepitas, two wheels of brie baked in filo dough with raisins and apricots, dates wrapped in bacon, figs wrapped in prosciutto, blue chips with peach salsa, spicy almonds, olives and pickles and brownies.

The cocktail menu was inspired by Urban Gastronomy adventures as well as friends. Here it is, complete with proportions for ingredients in case you wish to mix a few at home, which of course, I highly recommend:

The Star Ingredients
Domaine de Canton: Baby ginger, Tahitian vanilla, Provençal honey, Tunisian Ginseng

St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur: “Dainty blossoms... maddeningly ephemeral once picked”

Wild Hibiscus Flowers: Flowery, raspberry and rhubarb

Van Gogh Double Espresso Vodka: Double caffeine

The Cocktails
Parker Negroni ~ Hendrick’s Gin (1), Canton (1), Dry Vermouth (1), Twist of Orange
(Note: This drink was invented by LP in April as described in Easter Rabbit!?.)

Spicy Redhead ~ Belvedere Vodka (2), Canton (1), Muddled Strawberries, Squeeze of Lime

Wild Bouquet ~ Belvedere Vodka (2), St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur (1), Wild Hibiscus Flower
(Note: This drink was inspired by CME and VS. The former introduced me to Elderflower Liqueur and the latter to wild hibiscus flowers in raspberry syrup.)

Over-Caffeinated White Russian ~ Van Gogh Double Espresso Vodka, Splash of Half-and-Half
(Note: A random sampling at Astor Wine and Spirits led to the discovery of this caffeinated gem. Lovely serendipity.)

Unpredictable Manhattan ~ Sazerac Rye (2), Dry Vermouth (1/4), Sweet Vermouth (1/4), Twist of Lemon, Sour Cherry
(Note: I picked up the Sazerac based on a recommendation of a vodka rep at a liquor store, but I recommend using bourbon instead. The Sazerac is a little sweet. At least the bottle is pretty!)

Taster's Choice Martini ~ Belvedere Vodka or Hendrick’s Gin, Dry Vermouth, Plain or Blue-Cheese Stuffed Olives (juice optional) or Lemon Twist

And, now, the caffeine is wearing off, and the movie in my DVD player is nearly shouting my name. Stay tuned for more adventures, and in the meantime, drink up!

Comments

  1. I'm sorry I missed it! Next time (after you quit your job and start dipping into those savings), for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment