Lush Mouthfeel

Quote of the Week:

A) I hope the food is good. B) I hope I have a good time. ~ The forward-looking statement of one friend about upcoming Thanksgiving festivities.

Words that ring true! I always hope the food is good, and secondarily I also wish I will have a good time. But... if the food isn't good, subsequently a good time will hardly be had.

If I were to hold the last 48 hours to this criteria, well then, it's been a grand weekend. In fact, I have enjoyed a lush mouthfeel, a harmonious bouquet, a fabulous guacamole trifecta and a superb middle-eastern brunch all since Friday night. And now, I am so delirious on fine cuisine and good scotch I can hardly type, but type I must. Thus is the burdensome path of the urban gastronomer. One must not only enjoy, but one must write, even when said enjoyment has caused a lethargic state.

So...

Friday night, after a delicious yoga class taught by Jennifer (of Jersey Pie) through the All for One Yoga Co-op, V. and I met a friend at Cafe Condessa on West 10th Street near 7th Avenue South. Perusing the wine list, I happened upon the Casa Silva Reserva Carmenere from Colchagua Chile (2006). It was described as "dark fruit, burned wood, eucalyptus, lush mouthfeel, full bodied."

Lush mouthfeel? What, I thought, is lush mouthfeel? Surely I should know. Friends keep calling me a foodie. How can I be a foodie without understanding what lush mouthfeel means? Two glasses, an appetizer of baked brie, a serving of pumpkin sage ravioli later... I felt I understood. My mouth felt as lush as... well, I don't know, fill in what you like, but it was erotic and luxurious.

After dinner, I enjoyed a Palacio Quemado Temperanillo from Ribera del Guadiana, Spain (2005), which was described as having a harmonious bouquet, at Boqueria on 19th Street. The bar was sticky with some unknown substance and the service was mediocre, but the food smelled amazing and the wine certainly harmonized my bouquet.

Only three glasses over many hours, and yet, I awoke Saturday exhausted with a headache. Old lady. Come on, you can say it, readers. It's true.

Never fear. V. and I shook off the late night with brunch at Mercadito on Avenue B between 11th and 12th Streets. We started with the guacamole trifecta: guacamole tradicional with tomato, cilantro, onion, and chile serrano; guacamole de mango with pico de gallo, jicama, and chipotle; and guacamole de naranja with roasted garlic, orange, and chile de árbol. For an entree I went with the tacos de huevo con chorizo, which, you guessed it, are tacos with chorizo and eggs.

Brunch at Mercadito is one of the top in the City. It may just fall just beneath Public on my list of faves.

It was a valiant try, but V. and I only recovered enough for an afternoon. Just after dark we returned home and spent an evening watching a movie, snacking on Pirate's Booty and drinking my new favorite at-home mixed drink: Sazerac Rye and Elderflower Liqueur (3 parts to 1 respectively).

And today... today we were treated to a middle-eastern feast at LPs (of Parker Negroni fame). She made hummus, baba ghanoush, vegetable tagine and fresh whole wheat pita bread, some of which was baked with a Lebanese Zaa'tar spice blend. Coffee before, mimosas during, apple cider with mulling spices and Maker's Mark with dessert followed by Belvanie (Doublewood 12 year scotch) as a post-meal topper.

A lush mouthfeel all around. And with that, ladies and g's, I leave you.

Coming soon... recipes I owe at least several of you for vegetarian chili and banana nut, granola, coconut muffins.

Stay tuned! And have a fabulous Thanksgiving. I wish you all a superbly gastronomic holiday!

Comments