'Tis the Seasoning

Well, readers, 'tis the seasoning. And here I sit with holiday belly in Champaign, IL watching several inches of snow fall on my brother K, who is out there shoveling while I enjoy the last cup of Sunday-morning coffee in the toasty warmth of his home office. It has been a marathon week of eating and drinking, but alas, today the blog must be written in 45 minutes or less. The holidays are, after all, a time to be with family, at least until you are all driving each other nuts. That said, I am limiting my computer time, which is probably good news for you too. Who wants to read a marathon blog post?

Last week after I left you, readers, I headed out to Brooklyn for brunch with CME and Mr. CME. I had picked up a bottle of Modern Spirit's Celery- and Peppercorn-infused vodka, which made a nearly perfect Bloody Mary with tomato juice, horseradish, hot sauce, lemon juice, olives, and Emeril's Essence (mix it yourself at home). CME made a tasty egg casserole with bacon, cheese and onions. Who needs to go out for a fabulous brunch.

Brunch was followed by a fun and cocktail-laden second date with the German during which I embarrassed myself completely by slipping, not once, but yes twice, in the icy conditions of New York's first winter storm. My sister-in-law said, but you are usually so graceful! Little known digital-girl fact: I am actually a closet-klutz. My mother enrolled me in ballet at the age of three following the doctor's advice that it would help improve my coordination.

At least one shoulder hurt immediately while the rest of my body waited until the next morning. Nothing better for an achy shoulder than a cocktail so on we went to Raines Law Room where I was once again wowed by their drinks. I sipped a Pisco Sour while the German imbibed an Iconoclast with Johnnie Walker Black Scotch, Amaro Averna (bitters), Marie Brizard Creme de Cacao, lemon juice, orange bitters, a rinse of Green Chartreuse, and a lemon twist. It was shaken and served up. We then shared a Smoke and Mirrors with Balvenie Scotch.

A nightcap (or two) at Rye House indicated that the new bar is probably consistently good with its cocktails. We shared a 17th Street Sazerac with Rittenhouse Rye, Hine Cognac, demerara, Peychaud & Angostura Bitters, and Marteau Absinthe. (Sorry no time for research right now on demerara. Stay tuned.) Our second drink took quite a long time and was subsequently comped by the bar.

Monday was a day of rest and recuperation from the slippery slopes of Sunday night. Tuesday my office held a holiday potluck with all sorts of goodies and champagne. Who doesn't love a good potluck? Wednesday night I spent four hours in JFK waiting for my plane to leave, and I only had one glass of wine at one of the many bars in the Jet Blue terminal.

Thursday was Christmas Eve, and my family decided to depart from the traditional turkey and trimmings meal. The end result was fantastic and fun because everyone pitched in with the cooking. Our feast included a standing pork roast complete with those little silver crowns on the end of each rib bone. We stuffed it with sourdough, apple dressing using a Tyler Florence recipe. Sides included kale and mushrooms; roasted Brussels sprouts; kugela, a Lithuanian potato, bacon, cream, onion casserole made by sister-in-law R; corn pudding with butternut squash, gouda cheese and a few other odds and ends (see below for the recipe we ultimately made up using two other recipes). We stuffed ourselves crazy. Before and after dinner, my brother K. and I managed to down a half bottle of Knob Creek bourbon, which surprisingly we did not pay for the next morning.

Christmas day we had a long drive to central IL followed by a nice dinner at Milo's in Urbana. I ordered a flavorful salad (though slightly overdressed) with spinach, pears, goat cheese, and walnuts followed by a main course of squash ravioli in pecan beurre blanc. There was too much sauce on the ravioli, but it was topped with a nice amount of perfectly cooked vegetables. If you are in town, Milo's is worth a visit.

Saturday the food marathon continued. Once again we all pitched in and created a multinational feast with veggie sushi rolls, guacamole and chips, salad and pork chili. Brother K made the chili included guajillo, pasillo, pablano, ancho and chipotle peppers. Delicious! We served a Portguese wine called Duoro by Tuella that the friendly gentleman in The Cork Screw Wine Emporium in Urbana said had hints of shoe polish. This description sort of made sense upon first taste though I imagine show polish is not nearly as palatable as the flavorful wine.

There you have it. A marathon of food and drink in 45 minutes. And a recipe as a bonus. Stay tuned! And forgive the typos. Next week... what exactly is potica?

Corn Pudding
2 cups cornmeal
1 can organic corn plus the juice
1 cup sour cream
4 ounces smoked gouda
1 quarter cup of grated parmesan
1 onion, chopped
few sprigs of rosemary
salt, pepper
1 and 1/2 cups roasted butternut squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
Vegetable broth or water

Saute the onion with the rosemary until caramelized. Mix it all together except the broth. Add the broth at the end until moist enough to bake (Yes you have to figure this part out on your own. Ours was a tad dry so I am guessing 1/2 to 1 cup.)

Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

Comments