Shot of Jack and a PBR

Quote of the Week: "I'm very much an experiential drinker... I'm a seasonal drinker as well... But even so, I tell people to drink what they like, where they like to drink it. There's nothing wrong with a $50 bottle of Bordeaux and there's nothing wrong with a PBR..." ~ Kevin Brauch in a Q&A with Imbibe, September-October 09

Last night I overheard someone say that a shot of jack and a PBR seem to be all the rage these days in New York. Given the specials at the two Lower East Side venues I was at last night, I guess that this might be the case. And, at $5-$6, the combo fits nicely into the recession-hampered Saturday night out, assuming you can stomach the PBR.

It's true, I have in the past criticized patrons at bars like Flatiron Lounge for ordering cheap beer or over-marketed liquors that don't actually taste very good. But, as Kevin Brauch, floor reporter on Iron Chef America and host of The Thirsty Traveler, points out, whom am I to judge anyone for enjoying a PBR? Mrs. O's classic order is a cold Bud in a bottle, and I have never so much as thought about judging her for it. Of course, Mrs. O also knows how to enjoy a good cocktail. And look out if there isn't condensation on the bottle, because if it's not cold enough, it's going back to the bartender.

DME offered me a taste of his PBR, which I had never had, as we were having drinks at Whiskey Ward before his band, the recently re-named rock-quartet Gold Leader, played a great show at Arlene's Grocery. CME was sipping her usual vodka soda while I enjoyed a serving of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, a new one for my list. The bourbon had a lovely taste, reminiscent of birthday cake, though I enjoyed it most once the ice brought down the harshness a notch. It was created in honor of the birthday of the distillery's founder George Garvin Brown, and according to Old Forester's Web site, it has a one-of-a-kind flavor that varies each year.

Anyway, as expected, the PBR tasted like cheap, watery American beer. It reminded me of sipping the foam off the top of a newly opened can of Old Milwaukee when I was a kid, something my dad used to let me do until my mom found out. But Kevin Brauch is right, if you enjoy it, so be it!

I will continue to order fancy cocktails (to go with my fancy panties) and pursue interesting and delightful whiskey, but in 2010, I will not pass judgment over anyone who enjoys cheap canned beer or, and it pains me to say it, Grey Goose and tonic. (My advice is to go with the well vodka instead of the Grey Goose. Your taste buds won't know the difference.)

There you have it, readers! But before I leave you, there was a noteworthy restaurant visit this week...

On Tuesday, the German and I dined at 26 Seats, a cozy romantic French restaurant on Avenue B between 10th and 11th Streets. Once again, the German chose a very nice French wine: Chateau Tour d'Auron's 2005 Bordeaux. Instead of a meat-heavy entree, I ordered an endive salad with blue cheese and an onion tart. I did, however, have order envy when I tried the seafood puff pastry and l'entrecôte (steak) that the German ordered.

I learned a new culinary fact during our dinner when the German explained that ordering l'entrecôte "bleue" means that you are requesting the meat to be very rare. Mrs. O and I had an unintentionally bleue cheeseburger at Old Town Bar later in the week, an experience which I still find disturbing, but at a French restaurant with high quality meat, it might not be so bad.

And now, I must leave you to prepare myself for a Sunday date. Stay tuned for more gastronomic adventures. And, in the meantime, enjoy that PBR!

Comments