Proper Snackage

Sunday Pre-Vacation To-Do List
  • Buy snacks!!!
  • Pull summer clothes out of back of closet
  • Find bathing suit
  • Get hair cut
  • Buy little travel bottles
  • Get a book for plane/beach
  • Pick up film and lens cleaning cloths
  • Go to work for a few hours
  • Print out Lonely Planet info for Puerto Rico
  • Priceline rental car
  • Get a manicure
  • Do Laundry
  • Pack
  • Decide what time to leave for airport tomorrow
  • Make self a cocktail
  • Write blog
  • (Don't forget the snacks!)
Well, my bag is packed. And, it will probably be several pounds lighter on the return trip. Why? Because the snacks will have been eaten.

What kind of snacks. Well, let's see?

Lara bars, perhaps a Cliff bar or two, dried apricots, smoked almonds, honey cashews, wheat crackers and a leftover brownie or two from EB's baby shower that LB handed me in a styrofoam cup as Mrs. O and I ran out the door to try and follow Speed Racer to the Tappen Zee Bridge. In case we got stuck in traffic or drove into a snow bank he said (or something like that).

With the words "watch out for black ice" and "you can't speed through the little towns on the back roads without getting pulled over" ringing in our heads, Mrs. O and I were driving crazy in her suburban trying to keep up with a speedster who lost us somewhere past Tuxedo.

C'est la vie. At least we had snacks should the need arise.

You might think I'm crazy. (Not to hang around with you, but because of my snack habit.)

What can I say, I travel nowhere without proper snackage.

Why?

Because my metabolism works likes it's on crack, and I am a terrible person when my blood sugar hits the rock bottom pit of my empty stomach. It's true. And it goes way back. It took me forever to figure it out, though. I think my brother K actually pointed it out to me after I kind of freaked out at the San Gennaro festival about ten years ago. Nothing a little Italian sausage and peppers wouldn't fix. Oh, and remember Nice Eyes way back in the early Digital Girl days? Yep, he helped me figure it out too when I told him I was hungry, and he said I know because you're horrible when you need to eat.

So it is, that I have learned through the long years to never leave the house without a snack. Challenge me any day of the week. Most likely, there is something edible within a few feet.

Of course, I have yet to learn my lesson about eating before I go to work in the morning. It's truly a wonder that I haven't inflicted bodily harm on anyone during my subway commute. I am sure my co-workers can tell you they steer clear of my office until about 10:00 a.m. when breakfast has had a chance to reach my bloodstream.

It's okay though if you think I am little nuts (oh yes, my friends pun intended). I will have all those snacks to munch on while laying on a beach or trekking through the rain forest in Puerto Rico. And, I always bring enough to share, which is an important part of the travel code, even when going alone. After all, you never know who you are going to meet!

And that, my friends, is it for this week. I'm going to go have a snack before attempting to sleep, which is usually a little futile the night before traveling. It's been four hours since I last ate, and I'm getting a little cranky. Good thing, I'm sipping a delicious Manhattan to even out my blood sugar levels!

But before I leave you, of note, this week, I visited Dock's Oyster Bar with a friend on Thursday for the first time. Great martinis! Now that is a bartender who understands "slightly dirty." And, the seafood was superbly fresh. The spicy tuna and California rolls were perfectly balanced in flavor. The lobster mac-and-cheese was wonderfully rich and yet not overpowering. The space is big and bright, and it's in midtown (shiver), but it's worth going for the food and drinks.

Stay tuned, readers! I'll be back in time for next week's blog.

Comments