OMG. That Is So Kale!

'It's Swiss chard! It's Swiss chard!'

The girl was so vehement about her belief that the green bunch she had laid upon the grocery store belt was Swiss chard. (sans plastic bag, by the way, which I am totally for at places like the Green market, but when it comes to my veggies being dragged across the same surface as a variety of other not so earthy things... I'd rather go with the bag).

Swiss chard? I looked at the leafy greens, lonely and dismantled, having lost their rubber band, on the grocery store scanner. That was definitely kale. No chard in sight.

The clerk either didn't know or thought better about arguing, which would have been fine had she not had to then go consult a colleague about what code to use for Swiss chard.

I quietly said to the girl, "Actually, I think that's kale."

Of course, I was completely sure it was kale, no thinking necessary. All these years wandering through the green market has trained me well for identifying tasty greenage. But, you know, I was trying to be polite. Because I'm from the Midwest and all, and that's what we do.

'It's not." The girl said with a set jaw and a frown.

So, I stood there, waiting, thinking 'Listen missy, I know my greens, but clearly you are in need of some vegucation. For broccoli's sake! Chard has a thick stem--in either basic white, vibrant red or yellow gold. And the leaves are broader with smoother edges, completely different than the spiky, serrated likes of that kale!'

Of course, I did not say those things because I'm a non-confrontationist. Probably also attributable to the Midwest upbringing... or maybe it's the Scorpio in me. I keep all the confrontation inside instead and brood about it until I can't help myself anymore. And then, well, thank Dionysus for cocktails.

Instead of mocking the girl, I enjoyed sporting a good smirk while the clerk and her colleague looked for the price of Swiss chard. After, I imagine, not finding it, she returned to the register and probably punched in the code for kale.

How can one be so insistent about something and be so completely wrong?

I went home with my Greek yogurt, avocado and a six pack and cooked the kale I bought earlier this week at the Green Market, which by the way, is in full summer swing.

I sauteed the kale with garlic scapes, fresh garlic bulbs, dandelion greens and chili powder. I threw in some leftover ground turkey (seasoned when first cook with a jerk mixture) and added a dash of soy sauce. The mix went onto organic corn tortillas with smoked gouda. I ate the tacos with freshly made guacamole, salsa and blue chips.

In honor of Father's Day, and my dad in particular, I had a beer with dinner--specifically a Circus Boy Hefeweizen from the Magic Hat Brewing Company in Vermont. It's a year-round brew, but refreshingly delicious and quite nice for a hot summer night with a slice of lemon.

Now, I am contently sipping a Campari appertif. I know technically an apertif is supposed to come before dinner, but what can I say? It's hot and I wanted something refreshing.

Speaking of hot, the lovely Mrs. O, HA and friends threw a fabulous tequila and tomato party in Brooklyn on Friday night. It was a delicious indulgent feast that began with a cocktail hour with three margarita stations -- traditional, orange-peko and fresh watermelon. (My favorite was the orange-peko... the tequila was infused with orange-peko tea, and the glass had a rim of dried orange peel and sugar.) Delicious salsa varieties and guacamole were served with the margaritas.

Dinner was a multi-course affair and accompanied by sippers of tequila--a blanco, reposado and anejo. Mrs. O and I did recon at Mayahuel, the tequila-based cocktail hotspot in the East Village. We struck out on finding the superb Sietes Leguas anejo the cute young bartender served us, but if I ever find it you will be the first to hear.

The food courses on Friday began with tostones topped with mango salsa, followed by an heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad. Steak tacos and shrimp skewers were presented thereafter. Mexican street popcorn (an idea that came from our trip to Mayahuel) was in abundance on the table.

All of the food was delicious, but the star of the evening was the dessert--a tomato scented flan made by the beautiful and daring pastry queen J.

And, that my friends, is all I have for you this week. Stay tuned for more vegetable madness and cocktail mayhem! In the meantime, take a trip to your local green market and buy some chard and kale too!

Comments