Homage to Astoria

Here I sit, ladies and g's, typing the last post from Astoria. That's right. It's my last Sunday evening in this nook of the crazy cranny-filled metropolis. As I sip Campari on ice from a plastic glass (the cocktail glasses having been packed), I share with you, a gastronomic homage to Astoria.

Pita Hot How I Love You
The best hummus in New York City and a Jerusalem falafel sandwich that will rock your gastronomic world. And, if they happen to have the lamb sausage and you are in the mood for meat... well then there are no words to describe the crazy delicious flavors that will end up in your pita.

My standby is the Jerusalem falafel sandwich on whole wheat pita. Two falafel spiced with some intricate mystery mixture of goodness and a little bit of everything else vegetarian, including a dolma, hummus, bean salad, sometimes eggplant, hot sauce if you like it, lettuce, tomato... all in a manageable pita package. I often accompany it with an indulgent side of jalapeno potato chips from one of the four bodegas nearby. And a beer.

The men behind the counter are all charming though they clearly learn their lines from the affable owner. 'For here or to stay?' If you are a pretty lady, you will hear this one with most orders, which I must admit, I actually quite enjoy.

And the prices are super reasonable... $5.50 for the Jerusalem falafel and only $3.50 for an order of hummus.

Oh Pita Hot, how I love you. I will miss you, dearly.

Vesta, It's Been a Long Time, but Still I Think of You
South of Crescent Street on 30th Avenue was always a no-man's land of residential buildings and the occasional bodega until Vesta opened on 21st Street. I was so excited... a great, low key wine bar with friendly, welcoming staff. I could sit at the bar and enjoy a great wine alone (sometimes blogging at the same time) or come in with friends for brunch, and the experience was always wonderful.

And the food is delicious. I wrote several times about how much I enjoy the Eggs l' Italiano, but other dishes were equally as flavorful, including the fresh seasonal salads and the thin-crust pizzas.

I have been delinquent in visiting, and this makes me sad. But, with a busy professional life and, well, looking for a new place, I just haven't had much time. I'm sure you haven't missed me, Vesta... you have so many other admirers. But alas, I still think of you and may pop in again even after I have moved.

Titan, A Greek God You May Be
Titan Foods... where do I begin? We've been acquainted since my first apartment in New York City. My first roommate, psycho though he was, introduced me to your aisles. Olives from large vats, eight different kinds of feta, dried fruits and nuts and those little sesame sticks, baklava by the pound and savory spinach pie... oh, and tzatziki... that tart plain yogurt so wonderfully full of garlic and laced with cucumber.

And I bought there, the necklace of evil eyes to protect me from errant spirits of the night.

It's all enough to make a Digital Girl a little teary-eyed. But not enough to make her stay. The stray bug that crawled out of a box of oatmeal directly after I purchased it at a nearby natural market certainly was not an incentive. And, although Petey's Burger made for a great packing dinner, it's not what Time Out NY hyped it up to be. Decent burger but certainly no In 'n Out. And the staff needs a little work on their people skills. The disgusted, 'Yes there's four packets in the bag' in response to the query for ketchup to go was a little off-putting.

So, there you have it. It's time to move! But there are certainly reasons to come back for a visit. Pita Hot, Vesta, Titan... I will miss you all!

Stay tuned! Next weekend I'm off on a wheycation to Vermont with CME hosted by Murray's Cheese!

Comments