A Melancholy Cocktail

Well, my friends, some Sunday nights seem to be made for melancholy. There is nothing for it but a cocktail, unless of course you have a prescription for something or other. I prefer the self-concocted, or rather stirred and served on the rocks type of treatment. I suppose some refer to that as self-medicated. (Such an ugly term!)

This evening, I tried mixing maraschino liqueur with organic vodka. All I can say is "blech."

Melancholy requires tasty and well balanced and perhaps just a little indulgent, but not in a drown-the-sorrows manner. Melancholy is subtle. Any drink meant to ease such a soft-footed emotion must not be too forward.

Let's consider a few standby's for a moment shall we?

Bourbon on the rocks - a good choice for almost any time. But, it seems a little wintry, unless you add mint, which is too summery for a rainy September evening. And, I'm out anyway, except for the bottle of Pappy, and that old man only comes off the shelf for special occasions... Sunday melancholy is not such an occasion.

Gin martini - my usual martini is with olives (when available stuffed with blue cheese), a fresh-tasting gin, a drop of or two of vermouth and a dribble of olive juice. Too salty for the likes of melancholy... much better for sassy or brassy or classically catty.

Vodka mixed drink - on it's own too much of a lush's drink (I should know), and well, I don't like many mixers. Thus the maraschino debacle. I'm out of Canton... that may have been the perfectly sad drink, vodka and canton though probably it would have been just a little too spicy to be appropriately blue.

Rum something - too tropical, too sugary, and not much my style unless there is Tiki which is just way too cheery for a night like this.

Vermouth or Liqueur - too sweet for a sad soul...

So, where did I land?

Old Tom gin with a splash of Carpano Antica sweet vermouth and a dash of chocolate bitters. Stirred and served on the rocks in a vintage champagne glass.

It is perfect for a bout of melancholy. In fact, I might have to make another.

And so, my friends, I leave you. I hope you are having a fine Sunday evening. And if not, well head to the liquor cabinet, and if it's dry, swing on by. There's always something to be had at my place.

Stay tuned!

Comments