Pickle My Ramps, Baby

What are you planning to do with this?
Well, I have my mind set on pickling ramps.
What?
Ramps.

The friendly gentleman at Sur la Table looked at me quizzically as we squatted on the floor in front of the canner pots. 

You know. Ramps. They are greens that can be foraged in these here northeastern parts in the spring. They have the most fantastic, lushalicious garlic and onion flavor. (See ramp in the epicurious food dictionary.)

He wasn't quite sure what to make of that, but could clearly see, I was a woman possessed with an idea. Though in truth, I was hesitant to make the investment in canning supplies. It's a big leap, from quick-pickling to actually preserving food. I made quick ramp pickles for my spring Martini Party last year following a recipe from the Greenmarket, and they were delicious! But the ramp season is short-lived! And quick pickles are too.

I've been a bit preoccupied with ramps since I launched this blog. That fateful and hallowed eve at Blue Hill at Stone Barns... it began with a ramp cocktail...

And here we are today! We've come a long way, readers. I have since made my own ramp cocktail, and I've learned enough to forget that most folks still don't know about these greens and their secret, magical garlic-onion mystery.



It occurred to me in February as I sipped a ramp-brine martini at momofuko ssäm bar in the East Village that if pickled the long way round, ramps could be used to flavor martinis year-round. Cocktail revelation!

And so it was that I was debating the purchase of a canner and jar-rack combo in Sur la Table this afternoon. It's a big leap. You have to preheat and process and gee whiz it might as well be a science experiment. And boy if you get it wrong, well, let's just say 'botulism.'

My Sur la Table friend told me he thought the same way about investing in beer-brewing equipment but that it was really worth it. And, he said, you can always cook lobsters in this pot. Huh. True story.

So, purchase made. Though I still need a few things before I am ready to pickle, which is fine because I think there may be a few weeks before those ramps appear.

The MEs were here this evening and both independently asked me if I was planning to cook crabs. Maybe after I have pickled my ramps! One step at a time, but perhaps by midsummer I will be serving crabs with pickled ramp Gibsons in Prospect Park. 

In the meantime, stay tuned!

A note about this week's gastronomic delight: Shropshire Blue


Try this creamy blue cheese sprinkled on arugula with dried cherries. Drizzle with truffle oil and season with salt and pepper!

Comments