We lamented and sipped...

...a concoction of gin and pickled ramp brine. 'At least we got a few good parties in...' Mrs. O said, as I pulled a tray of freshly toasted, locally made sourdough bagette slices from the oven. She was referring to my apartment with its wonderful open kitchen. Within each of our cordial glasses lay a ramp bulb and a gracefully curled fiddle head fern.

I confessed as I added fresh ice to the cocktail shaker that the thought of looking for a new apartment was making me queasy. But, such is life in the big fat apple--sometimes you run into a worm.



While we sipped our second 'mini' round, I smashed roasted cherry tomatoes onto half the toasts and sprinkled them with feta and chives before returning the sheet to the oven. The other half we ate smothered in honey lavender fromage blanc by Nettle Meadow in Warrensburg, NY--this week's gastronomic delight. This spreadable goat cheese has a lovely subtle floral flavor. Mrs. O and I envisioned it in warm puffy pastry or on fresh scones.

Between bites, I peeked into the pot of rhubarb bubbling on the stove to make sure the syrup was coming along.

This apartment has spoiled me forever. I don't think I could move back into a place that doesn't have a full stove. My new canning pot won't fit! Of course, I didn't use the new canning pot for the pickles we were enjoying. 

My boss shared an article from Salon with me a few weeks ago that included recipes for quick but long-lasting pickled ramps and fiddlehead ferns to be used in a Wild and Dirty Martini. The recipes appeared in How to Make the Perfect Recession Martini by Felisa Rogers and were attributed to Chef Robin Leventhal.

I made the pickles last weekend, and Mrs. O I enjoyed the resulting cocktail immensely, particularly the second one, in which I kicked up the brine a notch.

The pickles themselves were a little sweet for my taste, and no matter how I prepare them, fiddlehead ferns always taste a little like grass. They are so pretty though!

I can't wait to get my hands on more ramps so I can pickle with abandon! This week, I will scour the internet for more recipes. I will make it to the ramps man on Friday before late afternoon. I will pickle with the canner or without. I will prevail!
In the meantime, I'll try perfecting cocktail recipes with the rhubarb syrup. I was inspired by a delicious mix at Quarter in South Slope last weekend (was it Alice's Mallet?), though I failed to write down the ingredients. I tried one recipe last night with mint and far too much lime juice. No good!

Oh, and I suppose I will also start looking for a new apartment... with a big stove. Stay tuned my friends!

Comments

  1. Wait, what?! You have to move again? Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I know! Maybe I should pick up shop and head to Portland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy! Wouldn't that be fun?! Let me know if you need me to do the hard sell. :) There are lots of happy former New Yorkers and Midwesterners here...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment