Honey, You Just Killed My Buzz

From: Christina Saylor
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:04:38
To: Mrs. O

Subject: Buzz Kill

I'm a terrible person. I just killed a bee. They are disappearing, and 
I just killed one in my apartment. I was going to go with catch-and- 
release, but that just seemed too risky. And it looked like it was 
either trying to sting the radiator or pollinate it. Me, the girl with 
the bee tattoo. I killed it. One less honey maker on the planet 
because of me. One less pollinator on Earth.

This morning, I also flushed a spider that tried to share my shower.

However, I did just catch and release two giant moths (instead 
of killing them also).

All in my apartment. I guess they don't call it garden level for 
nothing.

I hope you had a good day.

________________________

I post this, ladies and g's, as a formal apology to the bee community. Nothing can bring back the bee that I killed. I know that. But, I would like the record to show, through the email above to Mrs. O, sent directly after the bee murder, that I was, and still am, full of remorse for my crime against nature.

It's been a bad month for bees; did you know? Take a look at Bill Chappell's post on the NPR News Blog from Tuesday: Truck Crash Releases 14 Million Angry Bees, And Honey, On Highway. Much of the swarm was gunned down by spray foam after attempts to cool them off with water failed. The local Idaho authorities were in a sticky situation... all that honey, clouds of mad bees, and according to the fire chief, bears lurking in the mountains.

I'm sure you've heard already, but bees are amazing creatures and they do a lot for the ecosystem (and human agriculture). Unfortunately, they are also in trouble. (Haven't heard about it? Visit the Vanishing of the Bees website for info and ways to help like using natural pesticides in the house and garden and buying organic.)

As the bees are in trouble, so is the honey. LP recently alerted me about impostor "honey" which is being marketed as pure, but which either contains very little or no honey. The National Honey Board has a clever campaign called Save the Endangered Honey Bear where you can help generate some of your own buzz.

Following the truck crash, LocalNews8 in eastern Idaho reported "The bees are worth 3 cents a piece, making [the truckload] worth more than $400,000."

Only 3 cents a piece?  Seems like a steal considering all they do for us.

Comments

  1. Hey here are a couple of old articles on food fraud that I found....I remember a couple of scandals about French wine last year. That is when I started paying attention to this.

    LP

    http://www.newsweek.com/2010/02/07/the-fake-food-detectives.html

    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-01-19-fake-foods_N.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina, I didn't know you were a bee lover. I don't think I ever told you that we have 3 hives of honey bees in our back yard. They are fascinating to watch... especially in the hive. So far, we have been blessed with a little honey from only one hive. We have had them for over a year. So the next time you find a honey bee, send it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olga, I didn't know you had hives. How wonderful! Yes, next time I find a stray, I'll send it your way!

    LP - Thanks for sharing the articles. That's so disappointing about the wine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment