The MOST Wonderful Time... of the Year!

This, my friends, is it. Better than Christmas. Better than birthdays. Better, even, than springtime in Paris.

It may be the cusp of August, the eve of Summer's dog days, but, it is also tomato time. Fresh red Jersey tomatoes, colorful heirlooms, sungold, yellow, roma... What delicious beauties!

Oh, and the fresh basil! You can smell it from yards away.

And, then there are the peaches. The eggplants! Sweet summer corn! Purple garlic and jalapenos! Bell peppers. Green and yellow string beans! Broccoli! Radishes! Kirby cucumbers!

I am beside myself with the glory of summer produce.

There is little more I can say, other than if you aren't eating local produce now, I feel terrible sorry for your taste buds. So, I hope you are able to find a greenmarket in the city or take a drive into the country to visit a farmstand.

In the meantime, I have a Harry Potter birthday party and cocktail club event to attend. In the case that you can't get your hands on fresh tomatoes today, I hope you enjoy these photos of tomatoes I bought yesterday from Maxwell's Farm at the Grand Army Plaza greenmarket.






(Photos copyright Christina Saylor.)

Comments