Oh Seattle!

They say you are rainy and gloomy, Seattle, but today you put on your sunshine garters and shimmied. Yes indeed. You made it hard for an East Coast girl to want to go home. Worse yet... you have nearly seduced me to the point of eye-rolling ecstasy with your food and drink.

They call you the Emerald City. I cannot help but think you are more like the land of the fairies where hapless wandering travelers become trapped forever if they partake in the enjoyment of food or libations.

This, my friends, is my day's end ode to Seattle.

Today's eating and drinking fest began at 10 a.m. with breakfast happy hour at Toulouse Petit in the Queen Anne area. $7 breakfast items and daytime cocktails for $7.50! The drinks list was impressive and required much pondering. I settled on the Sunshine cocktail in honor of the day--a frothy concoction of Finlandia grapefruit, aperol, orange and lemon juices with egg white. A refreshing and lushalicious way to get the day started. The bartenders were attentive, helpful and--just like in NY--cute!

My entree was a decadent, buttery eggs 'florentine' (made with spicy arugula and flavorful tomatoes). The muffins must have been homemade, and the potatoes were perfectly crisp and well seasoned.

The view inside Toulouse Petit is quite grand. Gorgeous handmade iron, glass and woodwork fill the cavernous space with a grace reminiscent of Paris-style art deco. The colors in the highly textured walls reminded me of Toulouse Lautrec's 'At the Moulin Rouge.'

After I had my fill of liquid sun and hollandaise, I sipped a deep, rich french press coffee and enjoyed the daylight streaming through the large open windows.

Then I headed out to walk it all off. And walk I did! I started toward the Space Needle but came across a delightful fountain in Seattle Center which enraptured me for some time.

A local gent with time to kill offered to walk me over to a sculpture garden on the water. I pondered where he might fall on the potential psycho scale for few moments and thought 'Why not?' It was a sunny, well populated morning. And I still had my wits about me. So away we went. My unofficial tour ended nearly two hours later in front of Pike Place. And they say Seattleites are aloof!

Pike Place is touristy, but it is nonetheless a gastronomer's delight. Shiny fresh fish, jellies, nuts, and fruit abound! Artists sell their creations while fish mongers toss their giant catch and florists throw together beautiful brilliant bouquets. All the while, gawkers like me snap photos, sample bites and try on jewelry.

I bought two pastas at Papparadelle that I can't wait to try--chocolate raspberry gemelli and autumn harvest orzo flavored with pumpkin and sage.

I then sampled marionberry jam from Johnson Berry Farm and fell in love! Marionberry where have you been all my life!

Following a recommendation from the proprietess at Old Seattle Paperworks, I went to Michou, a Mediterranean deli for a late lunch which I ate by the water. The curried veggies were al dente just like they should be and the spicy chickpeas were delicious.

I then headed up to Capitol Hill to meet friends from my long-gone Salinas days. We caught up over a great cup of joe at Victrola Coffee.

I paused for a breath or two and then wandered down the street to 22 where I enjoyed Purgatory--not the headspace but the drink. It was a well balanced mix of rye, green chartreuse, Benedictine, orange peel (and possibly orange bitters).

The bartender at 22 was cute but apparently did not attend mixologist charm school. The friendlier waitress recommended the fish tacos from the bites menu. They were fantastic! The flour tortillas were so soft and yummy I didn't even mind that they weren't corn.

I was ready then to call it a day but I just happened to walk by High 5 Pie, and wouldn't you know, they had marionberry pie! The filling was great, but the crust was slightly dry and overdone. Nevertheless, I finished the sweet-tart dessert and a decaf Americano that tasted as good as a full fuel brew.
And now several hours later I'm enjoying a Mac and Jack's Amber Ale at the Garage--a bar, bowling alley and pool hall all in one. It's not my type of space, but the beer is sweet and spicy, and the staff is friendly. And hotel is close.

Tomorrow is an early day, so this beer will truly end my Seattle food and drink fest... unless I get trapped in the Emerald City.

Stay tuned!

Comments