Strike My Fancy!

Hello, readers! It's so nice to see you on Urban Gastronomy! I'm glad you could make it!!!

Last night, at another wonderful backyard barbecue at the M.E.'s, I was asked twice--once by the girls and once by Mr. M.E.--what I would be up to today. "Well," I replied both times, "whatever strikes my fancy!"

This reply elicited a tipsy giggles from the girls (myself included). I went on to say, "Maybe a long bike ride will be just the thing."

Mr. M.E. did not giggle, but immediately asked, "Xbox?" (I suspect this was actually his fancy.)

"No, not Xbox, but possibly a long bike ride..."

A brief attempt at cycling to Coney Island this morning led me to the quick realization that today was not my day to enjoy a bike ride. An uncomfortable new seat and that heavy, humid East Coast summer air had my fancy panties in a bunch in no time.

So, I turned back, and instead, I went for a walk in Prospect Park. I found my way to the Audubon Center in the Boathouse, where I watched a snapping turtle eye a goldfish that was swimming around its tank. I thought about how boring it would be to have only goldfish for lunch every day. Maybe that's why they're so snappy.

Of course, the snapping turtle would have more options in the lake. I doubt those carnival-prize goldfish are even on nature's menu. In fact, if they weren't carnivores, they might enjoy a duck potato or two.

Yes, that's right; I said duck potato.

After my visit with the snapping turtle and a few other pond-inhabiting creatures, I took an electric boat tour. Why? Because it struck my fancy.

And, during this boat tour I learned about the duck potato, an aquatic plant with a taro-like tuber on its bottom that was once a staple of the Native-American diet (according to the tour guide). Harvesting is apparently best next month, so perhaps one Sunday my druthers will be to try and forage a duck potato or two.

The USDA has a rather dry fact sheet about the duck potato that states, "The seed and tubers of duck potato are readily consumed by waterfowl, songbirds, wading birds, muskrats, and beaver." They say nothing about humans or turtles. Actually a Florida forager known as the Green Deane says that even ducks don't eat them. His website includes a recipe for duck potato salad and tips for harvesting them with your feet: Sagittaria Lancifolia: Duck Potatoes Wapato. (Click on this week's Gastronomic Delight to see his video.)

Anyway, I followed my fancies home, threw together a tuber-free lunch, and then walked down to South Side for a superb cappuccino, which is often my druthers on a weekend/holiday afternoon.

But, the fancies did not end there! Oh no!

Later, I found it quite pleasing to sip a Last Word cocktail while I threw together a late-summer salsa and some tofu tacos for dinner.

LP reminded me how delicious the Last Word can be when she ordered one at 67 Orange Street on Saturday. Their version had too much maraschino in the mix. The classic recipe is 1:1 of each ingredient: gin, green chartreuse, maraschino liqueur, and lime juice. Tonight, I didn't have quite enough lime juice for the ratio, and I shorted the maraschino a touch. It was still delicious!

So, there you have it. I hope you had a lovely holiday. For the M.E.'s... if you're reading, I hope you notice the punctuational prowess of this week's post. (Hopefully it's all correct. If not, we can schedule a call with the editor and I... I mean me.)

After all, proofing is challenging after a day of fancy and more than one Last Word!

Comments