Welcome to historic Pescadero...

A gorgeous day for gorgeous food!

We set out from Rough and Ready this morning with a mind to stop for lunch in Half Moon Bay. But we flew past the popular chowder spot unawares before you could say 'clam.'

A stop in the town visitor's bureau led to a change in plans. In hearing we were headed south, the woman at the bureau recommended lunch at Duartes Tavern in Pescadero. She told me they had an artichoke and chile bisque and that right down the road from there is Harley Farms, a dairy famous for its goat cheese.

I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. And luckily, my travel companion (my dad) wasn't too low on blood sugar for the extra drive.

Duarte's tagline is 'Where Friends Meet! Since 1894.' Our waitress made us fee like old friends who just happened to drop by for lunch.

I was just shy of crestfallen when I saw only separate cream of artichoke and chile soups on the Duarte's menu. When I told the waitress though that I was trying to decide she said gleefully that I didn't have to! I could have them both in the same bowl!

Aha! You just have to ask.

The soup was artful in taste and presentation. A lovely purplish artichoke drawn into a creamy chile backdrop... with a decadent and subtly warm flavor.

Dad had an equally tasty clam chowder, and we split a crab sandwich that had toasted, buttered insides on the bread.

Sadly there was no room for dessert. Next time!

We were on a deadline to make it to our next stop so our trip to Harley Farms was quick but wonderful!

We sampled the Monet, an herbed goat cheese with edible flowers and a basil tomato chevre. They were so lovely I picked up both for my next host. A quick look at the beautiful dining loft and a hello and goodbye to the goats and off we went!


Comments