Heat oil in a paella pan...

...and, then theoretically, you and your kitchen mates follow the recipe.

Somewhere between "Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains," and "Add chicken, chorizo and saffron." I shouted, "Where is Tyler Florence when you need him!?"

And then later... "That Tyler. He may be hot, but boy do I have a word or two for him."

Of course, to be fair, the recipe does say heat oil in a paella pan. We were using a 14-inch skillet.

I ask you, though, how exactly is one whole chicken, one dozen clams, one dozen shrimp, two chorizo sausages, two lobster tails, one 15-oz can of crushed tomatoes and four cups of rice (uncooked) supposed to fit in one pan?

They make paella pans in different sizes (including 14"), but I suspect Tyler's is at least 20". Actually, I think it's bigger. It takes up the whole stove. See for yourself: The Ultimate Paella (watch the video).

Tyler says, "You don't have to use a pan this big, but I am because I think it's kind of cool." And it is, particularly when he is making it with the weathered paella pan that he bought at the Mercado in Valencia, Spain. But, it's a challenge for us normal folk. (Although wouldn't it be nice to go to Spain and pick one up, especially with Tyler... sigh. All the wine, delicious paella, long meals, siesta, Tyler... yes that would be nice.)

Hmm... I forgot what I was saying. Oh yes! Paella. My kitchen mates were my brother K and sister-in-law CB. Between two burners, an outdoor charcoal grill, and an oven, we pulled off a beautiful dinner that fed many more than the 4-6 the recipe promised. To fix the overcrowded situation, we transfered half the rice to a sauce pan and cooked most of the chicken on the grill. The lobster tails went into the oven.

It was a feast to celebrate my dad's 65th. Happy birthday to my amazing dad! Where would I be if not for a father who loves foods like octopus and olives!?

Stay tuned my friends! And don't be afraid to make paella, but do make sure you have a lot of hungry folks to help you eat it. Trust me also when I say you can improvise with a 14" skillet and a reduced recipe, though of course it's also nice, should you have the opportunity, to go to Spain with Tyler Florence to pick up an authentic paella pan at the Mercado.



Comments

Post a Comment