The Week in Meat

From a prosciutto-rimmed cocktail glass to BACON-Fest 2011, this was the week of meat. When I wasn't eating it, I was learning how to cook it or reading about how to buy it.

Tonight, I will be munching on roasted brussels sprouts and hummus as atonement for this week's indulgence in salty, tasty pork products. And perhaps I'll meditate about cauliflower to cleanse the carnivorous residue from the layers of my subtler self.

Or not.

Either way, dinner will be vegetarian.

I am excited, though, about cooking up some meat in the near future, inspiration that came from attending "The Chemist and the Cook: The Science of Cooking Meat" at Brooklyn Brainery earlier this week.



The class was taught by the fast-talking and good-humored Soma. After 90-minutes, it seemed we had only just chipped the iceberg of meat chemistry, but my biggest take-away was this: sear and braise, and it's unlikely that you will go wrong.

Why do both? The outside of the meat has to come to a much higher temperature than the inside in order to reach that sweet point of caramelization that adds aroma to your tasting experience. To get there, you need fast, high heat, which if sustained long enough to cook the inside, will either burn the outside or dry it all out terribly.

The reasons for this have to do with the myoglobins, collagen, water and other chemical components of the "muscle" that you are cooking. Because that is what meat is... muscle.

I don't know about you, but once I start to think "muscle fibers" = "meat," my appetite fades. It's ridiculous (and possibly shameful) to be a meat-eater and admit this, but there you have it. I know I'm not alone. But, if you're curious and "muscle equals meat" doesn't phase you, check out Some Basic Meat Science For Outdoor Cooks on AmazingRibs.com. If you can stomach it for the short-term, you'll learn a lot of neat stuff.

Soma also stressed the importance of using a thermometer rather than guessing or cutting open the meat to find out it's done.

He explained too that grass-fed or pasture-raised meat has a more complex flavor-profile than corn-fed livestock because the cells of the animal absorb properties from what they eat. This makes sense right? Honey tastes different based on what flowers the bees have been sticking their noses in. It's the same with cows and other animals, and pasture-fed animals ingest more varied, and arguably interesting, plants than their corn-fed counterparts. Take it a step further with wild animals and you get the resulting gaminess that comes from eating who knows what out there in the wilderness.

I still have a lot to learn, but it's a good start! Now I can venture past sausages and ground meat and into the world of loins, steaks, necks, and tails! (Oh my.)

Serendipitously, there was an article in this week's New York Times to help educate me further. In the "Lost Art of Buying from a Butcher" Florence Fabricant discusses the resurgence of local butchers in New York (and a few other places) and imparts basic knowledge on how to talk to one. The article includes recipes for pork belly, lamb neck and veal shank. (By the way, some shops are now selling veal that comes from young cows who were not confined to a box. Maybe someday, we'll also have a new foie gras.)

As if all this weren't enough, CO hosted BACON-Fest2011, an annual event, which lucky for me, fell on my birthday. What more could an urban gastronomer wish for than a bacon party on her birthday? My favorite--dates that were stuffed with almonds and wrapped in bacon (served warm). Yum!

The cocktail star of the evening was provided by LP, who infused tequila with bacon and mixed it with green chartreuse and celery bitters. It was delicious! (Perhaps she will post the recipe for us in the comments.)

Beecher's Grilled Cheese Martini
All things being equal in the universe, I had another savory cocktail this week that was not delicious. It was confused! I suspect that Beecher's grilled cheese martini is not on the menu for a reason. The vodka is infused with an actual grilled cheese sandwich. There are other ingredients including tomatoes, and the rim is dressed with crushed prosciutto. If you must try it for the novelty, best of luck!

And, finally, before I leave you, here is the moment that I know you've been waiting for. The winner of last week's pumpkin massacre is HA with Winter Wonderland!!! DME came in as a close second with Owl and Tree with Moon.


Congratulations, Heather!

I owe you a homemade pumpkin pie!

Comments