Chefs Are Making Change: Let's Help Them Out

Hello, friends. I'm not going to write a full post this week because I would much rather you spend this time reading about Chefs Make Change, a coalition launched by Food and Wine in January to help 10 top chefs raise funds for their gastronomic causes.

You can read about their impressive efforts and make a donation through the F&W article. And, each chef has shared two of their best recipes. I chose to give a little something to the following two causes:

  • Dan Barber's Stone Barns Center for Food & Agriculture: a non-profit farm north of the City that supports healthy and sustainable food systems through a range of agricultural and educational programs. A little over three years ago, I received the perfect gastronomic gift--a dinner at Blue Hill at Stone Barns. The experience inspired me to finally start writing this blog. I believe what the folks at Stone Barns do is critical. How else are we to make better choices without better connections between the food on our tables and the folks that grow them?

    And, I absolutely love this quote from Chef Barber: “The head vegetable farmer at Stone Barns, Jack, brought me carrots that were so sweet and delicious I couldn’t stand it. Then Jack said, mournfully, ‘I bet they end up in a freakin’ sauce.’ Instead, I created a dish with the carrots as the star, and I used shredded lamb for the sauce.” -- Oh! To have such a sweet and delicious carrot that you feel compelled to make it the star of the plate!
  • Bill Telepan's Wellness in the Schools: an organization that "inspires healthy eating, environmental awareness and fitness as a way of life for kids in New York City’s public schools." It's so incredibly important for kids to develop a healthy palate and to learn how to make good food choices. Of course, it's not easy. Kids are crazy picky. And many families face economic challenges as well. But to make tasty, healthy food part of the everyday school day... that has great value that goes beyond the classroom. 

I hope that you stop by Chefs Make Change, and if you're fortunate enough to have a little extra something in these dismal economic times, make a donation to the cause that suits your palate best. There is a variety of topics and regions from which to choose. But if the larder is bare enough that you can't offer a donation, at least stop by for the recipes and share the link with friends.

Comments