Overnight Oatmeal

Well, friends, my brief foray into the gluten-free world is over. It may be disappointing that gluten deprivation did not "change my life," but alas, it is hard to complain about being able to eat croissants again.

It took me a few weeks to discover that New York is a much easier place than say, the Wonderbread belt of America, to go gluten-free. Body and Soul, one of my favorite greenmarket stands in Union Square, has started making GF muffins, something I learned during my second week.

During my first week, though, I rediscovered an old breakfast favorite--overnight oatmeal!

I'm going to stop you before your mind jumps to breakfasts past, where dry packets came out of the microwave transformed into soupy goo that smelled like some weird hi-fi version of maple syrup. It's true, for many years, I thought this was the only way that one could eat oatmeal.

Happily I was mistaken.

Overnight oatmeal is nothing like that! It's delicious!

It's also happens to be my "Plan B."

You know, "Plan B."

You have one, don't you? The plan for what will I do if a) I am suddenly fired or b) I turn 40 and panic? Here is mine: I will travel for a few months outside of the States, and then, I will either return to work in the same career, or I will buy a food truck and sell overnight oatmeal on the streets of America.

In the meantime, neither you nor I should have to wait to enjoy a tasty bowl of overnight oatmeal. So, here are a few recipes. And keep this in mind... overnight oatmeal is versatile... delightful as a wake-up-and-smell-the-cinnamon-goodness treat on a Sunday morning-after or perfect as a pack-and-go breakfast on Monday morning. (The only trick for Sunday morning is that you must be sure Saturday night that you want him to stay for breakfast. It's really hard to evict someone from your apartment once the aroma of overnight oatmeal has permeated the air. Trust me.)

Pear and Ginger Overnight Oatmeal
Pear and Ginger Oatmeal
1 cup steelcut oatmeal
4 cups water
2 Bosc pears, chopped
2-3 tablespoons candied ginger, diced
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 tsp ground ginger (more if you like a bite)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup milk or half and half (optional)
pinch of salt

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker (e.g., Crock Pot) and set on low; cook for 8 hours.

Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oatmeal

1 cup steelcut oatmeal
3 cups water
1 cup apple cider (unsweetened)
1-2 chopped apples suitable for cooking (e.g., Granny Smith, Jonagold, McIntosh)
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup milk or half and half (optional)
pinch of salt

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker (e.g., Crock Pot) and set on low; cook for 8 hours.

If you are having guests, set out bowls with multiple toppings, like candied nuts, almond butter, yogurt, fresh fruit, coconut, etc.. And, I know, yogurt and oatmeal sounds weird, but the protein will tied you over until lunch!!! I never eat my overnight oatmeal without yogurt.

Comments

  1. Sounds yummy! love the texture of steel cut oatmeal with dried berries!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment