Where Else but New York?


Jerry from Wales crooned with a fervor that made me believe he was channelling Frank himself...

"The record shows I took the blows and did it my way. Yes, it was my way."

Glasses were raised in raucous tipsy delight as the chanting began... "Jerry, Jerr-ee. Jeerrr-eee!"

I looked around while joining the chorus... rather, I should say, I looked over. In flats, I was the tallest person in the bar. Someone explained that we were amidst a tour group from Wales. 

Jerry took a deep breath and launched into "The Way We Were." The piano man played the accompaniment flawlessly while the house singer, decked in a stunning red dress, enjoyed the break. The massive art-deco wood ceiling fan whirred above the Welshman, who were all drinking pints in a bar built on rum. 

It was a true New York moment, one that made it nearly tolerable to be in Times Square.

I was with two colleagues. We had just come from Venus in Fur. If you've seen it, you know you can't just leave the theater and make your way home. The aftermath requires digestion, discussion, and... a beverage. 

What an intricately written exploration of gender and power! And, ironically, I had to chastise the guy sitting next to me about using his i-Phone right about the time that Vanda managed to manipulate Thomas onto the chaise. It was a terrible moment to be distracted by that cold digital glow. And, what kind of guy comes see a show like Venus in Fur and fails to be entrapped by such a sexually-charged and intelligently written theatrical moment? (I mean, really.)

After the show, the Rum House was our midtown salvation. It was a haven among the over-lit ant-hill of touristic insanity that lay outside the door. Of course, it was a little too loud to have fulfilling debates about the reality of Aphrodite, but it was just fine for a post-show cocktail. 

The Rum House was added to the list a few months ago after LP and I landed there following a recommendation from someone in the biz with a taste for well-made drinks.

I had the Rum Old-Fashioned, which I did not overly enjoy, but I'm willing to concede that a) I'm not used to drinking rum and b) it was a crazy Friday night in a bar full of singing Welshman. My colleagues had a Mojito, which was perfectly balanced, and the Knickerbocker, which was fruity and refreshing.

So, if you find yourself trapped amidst the chaos in Times Square, I recommend a visit to the Rum House.

Of course, if you know someone with a rooftop, that's even better. I was lucky enough to enjoy a few simple house-made cocktails of cucumber vodka, ginger syrup, and soda earlier this week on a colleague's rooftop. Another true NY moment.

Until next time, my friends. But in the time between, perhaps you'll find this rooftop recipe refreshing. I know it sounds like it will taste weird, but it's actually quite delightful!

Rooftop Garden Spritzer
2 oz. Crop Cucumber Vodka (or infuse your own)
1 tsp ginger syrup*

Pour over ice, top with a few ounces of cold soda water.

*You can buy ginger syrup or make it at home... There are recipes on Imbibe and Martha Stewart. The Imbibe recipe is less sweet, using more water to sugar. The Martha recipe is closer to today's standard simple syrup ratios of 1:1.

Comments

  1. Speaking of NY moments, I am reading Quite Enough of Calvin Trillin, and one grouping of essays has a NY theme. Fun to read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment