Boxes for the Kitchen

A friend this weekend said to me, "There are only two things more stressful than moving: being born and dying." Then she said, "I didn't make it up, I read it somewhere."


Every move has it's hiccups, and these were words I needed to hear.


I can think of a few things to add to the more anxiety-inducing list, but only a few. I sit here now looking at all the boxes, and wonder, what would it be like to own nothing more than a suitcase full of basics? It would probably be liberating... at least until I wanted to throw a cocktail party... then it would be problematic. 

The majority of my moving boxes are labeled with a "K" for kitchen. The new place has a nice, open kitchen, atypical for a NYC studio apartment. The MEs designed it for cooking and entertaining. I've been to many a gathering in this apartment, and it almost feels like home already

I'm no longer on garden level, so curious passersby will not be able to peer in, though I can stare at BQE traffic while I make pickles. And, I can raise my arms above my head... totally a plus.

Speaking of pickles, since I am beyond providing you with any real gastronomic thoughts this weekend, I thought I would share a great post from Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Kitchen, The Original Seven Day Pickle? Cathy Barrow ponders the originality of this old-time recipe for long-lasting pickles that don't need processing.

I suppose it's good that I signed a lease before I really got knee-deep in packing, because the road and the suitcase are tempting indeed... But, since I am here, if I had time on my hands and an unpacked kitchen, I would be making seven-day pickles... 

Comments