Turmeric: An Ode to an Herb

Hello, ladies and g's! My state of discombobulation continues due to the recent move and other busy happenings. And so, while I figure out upon which kitchen shelf to perch my pretty pickles, my friend, yoga teacher, experienced meditator, writer extraordinaire, and fellow gastronomer Jennifer Rose was kind enough to offer the below thoughts on turmeric milk.


I can't wait to have enough unpacked to try making a cup myself. Who doesn't like falling in love?

Turmeric: I'm in Love With the Herb I'm Talking About
Guest Post by Jennifer Rose

The secret to health and happiness. At 50, with many epic fails to my credit, this phrase brings upon me a petulant mood. I have enough experience behind me to know that such "secrets" often include Metamucil and running, sweating. Perhaps that goes a long way to explaining why I did not immediately try turmeric milk when my yoga teacher, Mr. NP, first recommended it, some 10 or so years ago. Surely, it would be yucky?

Turmeric milk had come up again recently when another yogini in the class had mentioned her arthritic knees. I decided to try it.

The recipe is simple. Pour 8 ounces of milk (I used organic) in a pan. Stir half a teaspoon of turmeric into the milk and turn on the heat. When the milk is just shy of boiling, pour the turmeric milk in a cup. Add honey if desired. 

Photo by Jennifer Rose
But, wait. There was a reverie. It happened as soon as the turmeric hit the milk. What a color! An uplifting sunrise of yellowy orange against a background of pure white. In yoga, whence the recipe came, there is a mystical tradition of objects carrying a life force. That darling yellow turmeric verily cried out to me in friendship. 

"So happy you made it!" It seemed to say. 

"Oh me too!" My heart replied. 

And there was a rightness about the earthy aroma that makes my mouth water thinking about it. 

When my husband declared his love affair with morning coffee was taking a backseat to health concerns, I thought of turmeric milk as a replacement. I credit this ancient elixir with making it easy to skip morning coffee, and I wait expectantly for happy results in my own creaky knees.

Only after I tenderly tasted my first turmeric milk did I take to the internet to discover more about turmeric's potential healing properties. Indeed there are scientific studies linking curcumin, the active compound in turmeric, to an anti-inflammatory effect, and for some people it seems to be related to a marked reduction in arthritis painMost of this research is being done with turmeric capsules, though. My exploration of turmeric is gastronomic--I'm sticking with the milk. 

Photo by Jennifer Rose
More involved recipes for turmeric milk add cinnamon, ginger, or cardamom. But I found the simple recipe tasty by itself, and am even happy to drink it without honey. I will be drinking it as far into the future as I can see. In addition to seeing me through my coffee withdrawal, I also think turmeric has helped me in other ways. Thanks for that, happy orange friend!

------------------------
A huge thank you to Jennifer who also wrote a guest post long ago which you might also enjoy: A Hunger for Finer Fare

Comments