Spinach-and-Artichoke Dip


When plans to be away for the weekend were cancelled, I found myself in need of an appetizer for a friend's birthday gathering. But, I also had hours of work to do and errands to run. With specialty food shops and delis aplenty, most rational New Yorkers would pick up some tasty ready-to-eat dish and be done with it.

I thought about it, but something in my Midwest roots makes this a near impossibility. So, I decided on a fast and easy standard from the old days: spinach dip with Knorr vegetable soup mix. When I read the ingredients on the box, however, it seemed impossible to tell if the dip would be suitable for a gluten-free party-goer. So, I searched for a new recipe on my phone right there in C-Town.

I came across this Artichoke-and-Spinach Dip from Ken Oringer on Food & Wine. Rather than buy every ingredient, I made a plan to substitute some items for what I had at home. The result was quite the crowd-pleaser, and it didn't take long to throw it together. Frankly, whether you try Oringer’s recipe or mine, I think it’s hard to go wrong with artichokes, spinach and cheese in any combination.

Spinach-and-Artichoke Dip with a Little Kick
  • 2 boxes of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 can of artichokes, chopped
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 2 large cloves or garlic, minced
  • 12 oz of cream cheese, softened (1.5 boxes)
  • 1/2 cup of pepper jack cheese
  • 1 tsb olive oil
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Paprika
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Zest from half a lemon and the juice

In a skillet, sauté the shallots and garlic in the olive oil until soft. (Season in layers as noted below.) Add the artichokes and cook over moderate heat until slightly brown in places. Add the spinach, stir and cook for another minute or two. Add cream cheese, Monterey jack, lemon zest and juice and stir until smooth. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve at room temperature. (The flavors get stronger and more incorporated after about a half hour.)

A note about seasoning: I tend to season in layers intuitively as I sauté and stir. Then I taste at the end and adjust if needed. That is the method I used with this dip, which is why the amounts are unspecified. Each time I added an item to the skillet, I tossed in a few sprinkles of salt, pepper and paprika.

I don't have any pictures of that dip, but I do have a pretty photo of a Morning Glory from the week’s adventures. Spinach dip makes me think of family parties growing up, and memories of my mother have been quite present this week. When I stepped out the door one rainy day in a rush to get to work, these glories were there to remind me there is beauty in unexpected moments and in the memories that might otherwise make us blue.

I hope you enjoy it. 

Comments