Is It Noir or Not?

On Monday, Trader Vicky and I attended an "Autumn Tasting Extravaganza" that included wines from Shaw Vineyard in the Finger Lakes region of New York.

Even after all of these years of sipping, I'm still a novice when it comes to understanding much about wine. I have thus far only managed to learn that palates are highly subjective. My best gauge for ordering wine at a bar or restaurant is whether or not I've had and liked something similar from the same region. If I'm out with HA, who is a borderline sommelier, my chances of ordering something I will like are greatly enhanced.

I've learned a few things drinking with HA. For example, you can and should ask to taste a wine before you order a glass. Now I just need to get out of the habit of ordering the first wine that I've tasted regardless of whether it's what I really want. (That is so Midwest of me.)

Each time I attend a tasting I learn something new. As Trader Vicky and I sipped the Shaw Vineyard pinot noir, she noted that she thought pinot noir was usually a darkly colored wine. Somewhere in my memory banks I had it registered as lighter in hue.

Steve Shaw, owner and winemaker, explained that pinot noir is in fact lighter in color and body. However, there are pinot-syrah blends sold out of California that have created confusion among consumers (like Trader Vicky and I). Trader Vicky noted that the use of the word "noir" is also quite misleading. Do any of you speak French? What would pinot noir be if noir was changed to the French word for twilight?

The pinot from Shaw Vineyard was quite nice, but the wines I enjoyed most were the Keuka Hill Reserve 2007 and the Cabernet Franc 2007. You can watch the Cabernet Franc being bottled and listen to Steve Shaw's lovely description of the wine here. He uses the type of poetic phrases often heard from those with expert palates such as "good dusty earthy flavors" and a "leathery-tobacco quality." My notes just say, "dry, deep, delicious."

I should also tell you that Steve Shaw was quite the gracious host (so cordial!). And clearly proud of his wines (rightly so!). New York is not one of the first regions to come to mind when one thinks about wine, and I've seen very few restaurants here that carry local vintages. So, I was quite happy to try the wines from Shaw Vineyard. At the least I know I can go to Astor for a New York wine to serve with a locally-sourced meal. And, even more exciting, it may just be the perfect excuse for a long weekend upstate!

Comments