Guest Post: Reverence for Experience, Sushi and Ceramics

Following is a post by my friend and fellow gastronomer--the lovely and talented Angela Craven, who has been known simply as A (or sometimes Mrs. Craven) in the posts of UG. A is also an artist who creates beautiful and thoughtful work. You can find her on Twitter @throwingpaint. My thanks to her both for offering this wonderful post and for her kind words about UG!


A few days before our favorite Urban Gastronomer presented me with this guest post opportunity, I came across an interesting-looking (Urban Gastronomy worthy) event online. The event, Den Show, was to be a celebration of ceramic artist Kazu Oba’s work and the relationship between food and dinnerware. It happened to also be hosted by the owner of one of Denver’s best Japanese restaurants, Izakaya Den. The Show and the restaurant were both located in the charming Denver neighborhood of South Pearl Street. There it was already planned, the perfect December weekend day of checking out some local art, enjoying a tasty Japanese lunch and, I would soon discover, gaining some solid blog inspiration!

Den Show promised to be the sort of event that Chris and I would have attended or at least discussed over cocktails or brunch, or a cocktail brunch. That is, if we still lived in the same neighborhood, city and state. Since I have relocated to the Mile High City and Chris is sipping cocktails on the pristine beaches of Tortola, it seems only fitting to be bombing her UG blog with stories of food and art.

Kazu Oba at Den Show (photo by Angela Craven)
I was greeted by Kazu Oba as I walked in to the former Ototo restaurant where Den Show was held. It was about 11:30 in the morning on the last day of the show and the artist was getting ready to trim a few bowls he had made the day before. His wheel was positioned directly in front of the door where he thanked visitors as they entered. 

Kazu’s porcelain serving plates, bowls, sake cups, mugs and vessels were thoughtfully placed on the bar and shelves, and even on wood tables he had made. For the previous nine days, from 10 am to 10 pm, Kazu had been creating, selling, and discussing his work in this space. Occasionally he would leave the wheel to answer questions and offer snacks, coffee or sake for anyone who had the time to stay. Needless to say, it was a comfortable and inviting space that few could resist walking past, or leaving once they were in. As I bellied up to the sake bar and talked with Kazu about his work and technique, I felt like I was at a housewarming party rather than an exhibit.

Den Show with Kazu Oba
Photo by Angela Craven
After a couple of hours (yup) of browsing and talking with the artist, I decided to do a bit of holiday shopping. Each of Kazu’s pieces appeared to hold a story--making it even more fun to look for gifts. I asked him if he had a specific type of food in mind when he created each piece. He told me he did, but he didn’t want the story of a piece to determine how it is used in the future. He hopes that his work takes on a new and better life, with food, once it leaves his hands. “It is meant to be used,” he said.

Den Show with Kazu Oba
Photo by Angela Craven
With that, I left Den Show with a bag of carefully wrapped gifts and headed across the street to Izakaya Den for lunch. I found a sunny corner in the front of the restaurant where I could eat, sip tea and write down all that I could remember from the Show.
Izakaya Den restaurant, Denver, CO
Photo by Angela Craven

As told on their website, Izakaya Den is a Japanese gastro pub. Izakaya pubs can be found all over Japan. They’re…

a place where locals go to let loose after a hard day’s work. Like the traditional sake dens of Japan, Izakaya Den is a wonderful place to sit and contemplate your work day. For those who love Slow Food, Izakaya Den offers the chance to stretch out your dining experience, enjoy each bite, every carefully balanced flavor, every drop of liquid genius, disguised as sauce.”

My server recommended bluefin toro sashimi and I ordered a caterpillar roll to go with it. It seems counterintuitive, to expect high-quality seafood in a landlocked city so far from the ocean. Somehow this restaurant manages to exceed expectations every time. The tuna was buttery and full of flavor and the caterpillar roll an even sweeter take on the traditional roll. My server was attentive yet unobtrusive, the food warmed my belly, and my table in the sun was just the right spot to reflect on the day. What I enjoyed about Izakaya Den is what I enjoyed about my time talking with Kazu and roaming the Den show, and about UG, reverence for the experience.

Photo by Angela Craven
As lucky readers of UG, we know it is written with the philosophy of slowing down to soak up the richness of life. Through her witty posts about Cocktail Club,  unique travel destinations, inspired trips to the greenmarket, and New York’s top cocktail bars, the Urban Gastronomer reminds us to celebrate the details of each experience. So ladies and gs (as someone you know might say), as you start your week and head into the holidays, may you remember to slow down, sip your holiday cocktails and soak up all of life’s sweet possibilities that surround you.

More from the Den Show with Kazu Oba
Photo by Angela Craven

Comments