Year in Review: My Favorite Gastronomic Photos from 2012

So, my friends, we've landed in a new year that promises to be filled with all sorts of gastronomic adventures. I can hardly wait to explore intriguing flavors, mix fresh and sexy cocktails, host terrific parties, and be gastronomically indulgent in general in 2013. But first, I've decided to cook down my pantry and refrigerator, and since I'm a multi-tasker, I am also organizing my 2012 food photos.

The results of these two activities--a tuna casserole, a batch of sugar-and-spice pepitas, a pickled egg and avocado salad (true story), and a photographic best of UG 2012.

The tuna casserole was inspired by Grace Parisi's article "A Lesson in Cupboard Cooking," which was published in this month's Food & Wine. It has recipes to help you get through the produce doldrums of winter. Since I'm trying to cook down rather than stock up, I worked with on-hand miscellany--brown-rice elbow pasta, tuna packed in water, onions, garlic, mushrooms, milk, cornmeal, harissa and parmesan cheese. It's pretty darn tasty, but the cornmeal is gritty. Once I shift back to stocking-up, I'll try the actual dish, which is described as"umami-packed!"

As for the photo review... Well, here are the ones I most enjoy!

UG in 2012 - A Photographic Review

From Still Life with Persimmon (January) when I took a terrific food photography workshop through the International Center of Photography led by Susie Cushner, who photographed The James Beard Foundation's Best of the Best: A 25th Anniversary Celebration of America's Outstanding Chefs...

In the studio kitchen...







During a field trip to Eataly...





From Sugar on Snow Today (March), when I was introduced to a Vermont winter tradition...


From The List: Top New York City Cocktail Bars (April) when I went with CM to Booker and Dax...

Photo by CM


From Quite a Pickling, when I conquered some of my canning fears and dove headlong into the (roll-your-eyes) Brooklyn foodie movement.






This year, I have pickled many things, some successful, others not...





From Shake Up Your Summer with a Little Tiki (August) when Trader Vicky hosted a phenomenal meeting of the New York cocktail club....

                                      







From Farm to Bar: Recipes for Late Summer Cocktails when I hosted the September meeting of the NY Cocktail Club...

Photo by Kari Otero

Photo by Kari Otero

Photo by Kari Otero

From Cruciferous Is Such a Pretty Word (October) when I was smitten by the fall crop of mulit-colored cauliflower...





From Open Kitchen (November) when I spent a delicious weekend in two very different open kitchens: The Brown's and David Bouley's...





From Travel-Sized Bitters: The Perfect Stocking Stuffer (December) when I took a great class about bitters and then made hot toddies while CM was visiting from Portland.



From Guest Post: Reverence for Experience (December) when Angela Craven introduced us to art and cuisine in the Mile High City
Photo by Angela Craven

Happy New Year, ladies and g's. Get your fancy panties and your cocktail shakers ready for 2013!

Comments