Interesting Art and Tasty Food for a Good Cause

In theory, my friends, I should be telling you about the delicious cocktails and bites I had Thursday evening at a fundraising event for Fountain House, which is the March Cause of the Month. Fountain House supports people living with mental illnesses through what they call a working community. The organization's members, people with mental illness, work with mental health professionals and volunteers to create programs that offer employment, education, wellness, and housing opportunities. The event on Thursday, Mad About Art, featured works from Fountain Gallery, which supports artists living with mental illness.

Thursday morning, I awoke groggy but a little excited. After work, I was going to this great event! I love to have an excuse to dress up, and good art and tasty food are two of my favorite things. My pool bag was stuffed with the usual swimsuit and goggles plus a pair of heels, a cocktail dress, and fancy panties. I was so ready!

At 6:30, I rushed into the hall to grab my sneakers and somehow stubbed a toe so hard on a bannister railing that I heard it crack. After a few moments of cursing, I crawled back into bed and tried to pretend that a) the cracking sound didn't mean anything and b) it didn't hurt so much. That only worked until I tried to walk to the subway, which proved excruciating.

By 3:00 that afternoon after several rounds of ice and ibuprofen, I was trying again to put on shoes. The best I could do was a pair of flat sandals that only required shuffling rather than actually walking. They looked ridiculous with my cocktail dress, of course, and it's hard to pull off bare legs in NY in February.

So, unfortunately, I missed the event. But I heard it was fabulous. The art and the food were set up in two sections: uptown and downtown. It sounded like a fantastic tasting event.

The official diagnosis on my foot came the next day. The doctor showed me the line going straight across the little bone in the top of my left pinky toe. It's hard to believe that a little broken bone in such a small toe can hurt that much, but it does. (And I have to wear an ugly Velcro shoe for a really long time!)

Anyway, I do hope you take a moment to check out the important work that Fountain House is doing. And until next, my friends, I hope you find your own way to enjoy interesting art and tasty food very soon!

Comments