Bona Fide Ramp Freak and Proud

I have finally mastered the art of enjoying year-round ramp martinis, and yet I still experience vernal glee at first sight of those delicious wild onions at the greenmarket.

And yet, I wondered... what could I possibly write that would be new to UG readers about these delectable harbingers of the green season? Perhaps they would find another annual Spring post tedious and/or think that I am simply and tiresomely obsessed to the point of freakishness.

And, then today I read this timely article by Hugh Merwin on Grub Street: How Ramps Became Spring's Most Popular, and Divisive, Ingredient. I haven't met any folks who particularly dislike ramps, but based on the comments, they are out there.

Nevertheless, the article provides a fun history of ramps, and tells me I'm not alone in my obsession. As John Magazino of Baldor Specialty Foods says at the end of the article, "There are some bona fide ramp freaks out there." Indeed. And why not? Ramps are pretty and tasty, and what other plant gives you garlic and onion all in one!?




Comments

  1. Check out this snooty note from an old Joy of Cooking (1975): "Around the bulbs of Allium tricoccum...revolve many American folk festivals. These and the strong field garlic in your lawn - Allium vineale - are not recommended by us, though we frequently hear them praised." Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I guess ramps are divisive! Though, they are holding strong in NYC. They're popping up on Spring menus all over.

      Delete

Post a Comment